Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Strange Moment

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

So, I'm drunk and watching this stupid movie "No Strings Attached", and in the first five minutes they mention the above Albert Einstein quote. It blew my mind, not the quote itself or the ratty movie it was incorporated in, it amazed me because that was a vein of thought that I'd been having for a long time... but for totally different rationale. Or maybe the exact same rationale, who really knows or understands Albert Freakin' Einstein?

So, atoms make up absolutely everything around us. Everything. All matter is made up of these tiny particles made up almost entirely of empty space. There's the nucleus which is VERY small, surrounded by orbiting electrons, like a tiny solar system. If you look at the world at an atomic level you can't differentiate between 'living' and not living. It's all atoms, it's all mostly empty space. It's essentially an illusion that we can 'touch' something, that it has physical mass.

At that level of magnification everything is the same. It's all teeny, tiny, little particles 'bumping' into each other electromagnetically.

So, what is the difference between me and a rock? Between me and a tree? Between me and any other object, living or not? There isn't any difference at that level.

Now, I believe my combination of atoms in exactly the right configuration leads to 'me', something I choose to believe is significant. If I am significant, that why isn't the rock significant? Why isn't the tree significant? Why isn't everything significant? If I am capable of being significant then why isn't everything significant? What is the separation between significant and not?

Look at it the other way, zoom out and look at the entire galaxy... the entire universe. What significance do I have to the universe? Next to none. And the rock? The same. There is no differentiation between all of us, between everything. We're all teeny, tiny, pieces of a large system that doesn't even recognize our individuality.

Either everything has significance or nothing has significance. If I believe that I have any meaning than I have to believe that everything has meaning.

It almost demoralizes me to hear a stupid movie quoting such a significant mind, such a significant quote. "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." That's such a profound statement. Such a profound idea.

Isn't that what makes an amazing mind? The ability to recognize similarities, to summarize profound ideas into simple phrases, to communicate to the many the ideas that can change everything.

It's amazing, amazing. Despite the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment