Thursday, March 21, 2013

Saint Kathleen

So, a buddy of mine invited me to a part on St. Paddy's day.  I've been trying to cut back on my drinking but  it sounded like a good time, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It ended up being a good time, it was a little nuts without going too far.  There was a lot of drinking, but again, it didn't go too far.  Overall, a success.

Anyway, there was something interesting that I wanted to explore a little.

One of my buddy's neighbor's and his girlfriend came over.  They were both really cool, nice, good people.  We BS'ed for a while.  They were a young couple, active, fit, and very cute together.  The girlfriend was an incredibly attractive young woman named Kathleen.

At one point, Kathleen and I ended up sitting around and having a long conversation.

Before I go any further, I'd like to establish that I was not at this party looking for chicks.  My buddy is married, he hangs out with other married people, and this party was basically a way for otherwise responsible adults to have some fun.

Also, in general, I'm not looking for chicks right now.  At all.  I'm in a place right now where I'm pretty happy and I don't feel anything lacking by myself.  I'm of the opinion that if the right woman comes along, that's great, if not than I'm doing pretty good anyway.

So, in a totally platonic way, I have this good long conversation with Kathleen.  Turns out she's not only attractive, she's smart, and has quite a few of the same interests as me.  It was one of the easiest, most comfortable conversations I've had in a long time.  Totally chill and laid back.  It helped me feel like there were still good, cool chicks still out there in the world.  I haven't had a lot of good experiences with women over the past few years, so this was pleasant.

Then I got up and got another beer.  When I came back she was over sitting with her boyfriend.  No biggie, it's a party, people move around.

I didn't notice anything weird until later in the evening when Kathleen and her boyfriend left.  That's when I realized that she'd conspicuously avoided me for the rest of the evening.  She hadn't said two words to me since that conversation until it was time to leave, "it was nice to meet you."

The next morning I was thinking about it a bit.  At first, I thought maybe my eyes hadn't stayed on her face as often as I'd thought.  She had a nice body, maybe I was checking her out too much and she thought that I was hitting on her or something.

Then, I was thinking about it some more and decided that probably wasn't the case.  If I'd been staring at her tits there would have been some weirdness in her behavior toward me, edging away, not making eye contact, something.  There wasn't anything like that, it was a totally chill, comfortable conversation on both sides.  If she'd been uncomfortable, I would have picked up something.

So, the alternative that I came up with was that her boyfriend stepped in and became possessive.  It might not have been in a bad way, it could have simply been a "hey, I'd like you to spend more time with me" kind of a thing.  Just weird to go from good to nothing in such a short period of time.

Anyway, I just thought that was kind of odd.  At least I got a good conversation out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment