Monday, April 8, 2013

One Week

I recently watched a movie called "One Week" on Netflix.  It's about a young, responsible guy that just got engaged and is then diagnosed with Cancer.  He buys an old motorcycle and just starts driving west.  Instead of returning for treatment, he wants to live instead.  He has a variety of adventures, meets a bunch of people, and basically tries to live each day like it's a lifetime.  It was a pretty decent movie, I won't ruin the ending for you.

It probably hasn't been mentioned on this blog before but I've always dreamed of buying a motorcycle, throwing away the cellphone, packing only a notebook and pens, then just driving off into the sunset.  No agenda, no direction, just see where the road would take me.  In college, I got really into Kerouac.  I had this feeling like all the open road, the lack of distractions, all the time for thinking, and I'd be able to really get deep into my own head and write.

So, watching the movie was really appealing to me on multiple levels.  If I was diagnoses with some life threatening condition, the first thing I would probably do would be buy a motorcycle and some blank notebooks.  I would happily trade a couple weeks of truly living for a few months of being ill and bed ridden if I was going to die anyway.

Carpe diem! I thought, "why not do it now instead of waiting?"  Well, that's a pretty easy one to answer, I have responsibilities.  If I were suddenly rich then I would do it in a heartbeat because I could be sure that my responsibilities were covered.  If I were dying, I wouldn't be very concerned with whether I could make my mortgage or not and my life insurance would go to my daughter.  Otherwise, I need to work my 9 to 5, pay my bills, make responsible choices, and continue on with my pretty average existence.

There are all these movies and books that convey these romantic ideals, that seem to say we're wasting our lives if we aren't living every day to the fullest.  And it's true, we aren't living our lives to the fullest.  Every breath we take is one closer to our last.  But that's just one more thing we have to deal with in life, admitting that half of our lives is wasted doing all the BS to make the other half of life possible.  It might not be romantic but it's essential.

On the other hand, I could be hit by a bus tomorrow and have missed the chance.  So, it's a compromise between trying to do the "right" thing and trying to live our dreams, experience life to the fullest.  But compromise isn't a particularly sexy theme for a movie.  Or a blog post for that matter.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this blog! Love reading your tales and look forward to reading a lot more. One of my most favorite things outside of actually participating in the deed is reading men's sexual escapades and there isn't enough of it available out there. So I'm thrilled to discover you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying it!

    One of my favorite things, outside of actually having sex, is reading about women's sexual escapades, opinions, and overall mischievousness. Which is why I enjoy your blog, which I only recently found.

    ReplyDelete